Monday, June 27, 2011

Holy Food Making, Storing, Eating......

Gardening is amazing and so is eating your own food.  The taste is just so extreme - tonight I snapped a couple of ready peas off the vine and pulled a carrot up out of the ground for an after work snack as I walked home and watered the potted plants that are waiting to be planted for the Food Bank.

I didn't spend a ton of time in the garden this weekend, as I was busy in the kitchen cooking and storing up goodies brought to me by my sweetie, straight from the fields of her beautiful farm in Dover, MA.  A bin full of garlic scapes, lettuce, bok choi, spring turnips and onions, beets, and the largest, most beautiful head of cauliflower I have ever seen (eaten).

We chopped and froze many bags of garlic scapes to saute up when the winter's share of garlic has been eaten.  We made garlic scape, walnut and asiago pesto that we froze in an ice tray and later popped out to store in freezer bags.  These will be great to pull out and add to hot pasta or into a soup.  We also made quick pickled kohlrabi and tonight I did the same with the spring turnips.  

For dinner we shared roasted beets and smashed, roasted cauliflower.

So much, I am probably forgetting at least half of the highlights.  I am so fortunate to share this season with such an amazing, dedicated farmer.  I learn so much from her and I am really enjoying navigating the ways and importance of growing and eating your own food.

Oh maybe a picture....


Beets!

No comments:

Post a Comment