Monday, July 25, 2011

Canning!

So I have been spending my spare time picking and cleaning and canning.  Today I went to Samascott Orchards with my friend Anna.  This was our second adventure there; this time for blueberries, cucumbers and green beans.  We struck out on the green beans, but picked beautiful, delicious blueberries by the basket load and ended up with about 20 lbs too many cucumbers. 

When the rains came in, we ventured over to Love Apple Farm in Ghent, NY to have lunch.  They also have a pick your own operation (we previously visited for cherries), but we were there for their amazing little Mexican kitchen that serves some equally amazing tamales.  While we were there I picked up a couple of half pecks of apricots and plums - because I just can't seem to get enough. 

My intention was do a bit of picking today and have a pickle night with Anna this week.  When I woke up from my afternoon nap, I was full of ideas - pickle relish, plum jam and apricot preserves.  I will rest during the winter months, with all my beautifully preserved jams and pickles!

*On a side note - I have no idea what the difference is between jam and preserves.

Luckily, I found the cord for my camera - so enjoy the views....

plum jam, bread and butter pickles, and hot/sweet pickle relish

Apricot Preserves in the making!

No comments:

Post a Comment